Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Argue

I had an argument with my roommate who is very religious about the bible... and Heaven. She told me that for me to get into Heaven I had to read a paragraph from the Bible and then my soul would be saved... a dumb insignificant paragraph and then my soul would be saved? Are you kidding me? Then our argument continued on.. I said, "so you are telling me if i read this ill be saved... but if my parents and loved ones dont, then they are damned?" she responded, "Well in Heaven you dont need your loved ones being your parents or friends.. God provides you with everything else you need or want, so ultimately they wont matter".... that made me start crying for some reason... the thought of my family in Hell because they didnt read a paragraph.. or the idea that my loved ones would not be with me for all eternity really got to me...i told her that God has faith and loves all of us, and we do not need a paragraph for our souls to be saved. isnt life about forgiveness like in the story of Jacob and his brothers? They threw him into a pit to die, and in the future (since he lives and becomes prosperous) he shows pity on them and in a sense forgiveness...and they must learn to forgive themselves for their wrongdoings just as God does. Our disagreement was short but has stayed with me.. since she studies the bible religiously she felt she knew a great deal more than me, about the bible, god and most likely life. that is not the case. everyone has a different point of view and a different way of looking at the world, as well as the bible and God. her closed mindedness led me to feel she was ignorant about the unfamiliar, or things she refused to see from another perspective. she moved out shortly after.... i was not sad

No comments:

Post a Comment